How Old Is My Dog In Dog Years? | Amazing Animal Adventures

Monday, June 09, 2008

How Old Is My Dog In Dog Years?

I have been so depressed since my beloved pet dog, Dino, left me so suddenly on 6th June, 2008. Human years, he was 13.5 years old and everyone tells me that it is considered “old” for a dog.

My vet tells me that to calculate dog age, the first year is eight human years while each subsequent year is equivalent to seven human years. So to calculate a dog’s age, we multiple the number of years by seven and add one.

Interestingly, I read in the Daily Mail that it is a myth that one dog year equals to seven human years. This report did not mention how we can calculate dog years, then, even though they say that it is a myth.

Still, knowing this does not bring back my Dino.

MYTH: ONE DOG YEAR EQUALS SEVEN HUMAN YEARS

FACT: This is a simple question of mathematics. The current, global human life-expectancy is around 67.5 years. The average life-expectancy for a dog is 12.8 years.

So a dog year is actually a little over five human years. But not all humans, or dogs, have the same life-expectancy.

By and large, the smaller the dog, the longer it lives. An average Irish wolfhound will only last for about six years, whereas a toy poodle or miniature dachshund will breeze past 14 with no trouble.

Similarly, a citizen of Andorra can expect to reach the grand old age of 83, whereas an inhabitant of Swaziland has an average of only 39 years on the planet. So a wolfhound year is equivalent to almost 14 Andorran years, whereas a dachshund year is about two-and-a-half Swazi years.

And there's another, biological factor. A dog is fully developed by its first birthday, whereas we humans do not, traditionally, reach full adulthood until our 21st birthdays. So that first dog year equals two whole human decades.

0 comments:

Post a Comment